Leaving a massage
Sometimes, there may not be anyone to answer the telephone and you will need to leave a message. Follow this outline to make sure that the person who should receive your message has all the information he/she needs.
- Introduction ---- Hello, this is Mary/Hi, Mary is calling or - Hello, my name is Mary Brown (more formal)
- State the time of day and your reason for calling --- It’s ten in the morning. I’m phoning (calling, ringing) to find out if…/to see if…/ to let you know that…/to tell you that…
- Make a request---Could you call (ring, telephone me back?) Would you mind…
- Leave your telephone number--- My number is…/You can reach me at…/Call me at…
- Finish--- Thanks a lot, bye. I’ll talk to you later/tomorrow/in the morning/soon. Bye.
Here’s an example of message
Telephone: (Ring, ring, ring) Hello, this is Tom. I’m afraid I’m not in at the moment. Please leave a message after the beep…. (b-e-e-p)
Hello, Tom, it’s Mary. It’s 10 a.m. and I’m calling to see if you would like to accompany me to the theatre tonight. I’m sure you would because it’s “Swan Lake”. Could you call me back? You can reach me at 8-499-173-1817 till five in the afternoon. I’lltalktoyoulater, bye.
Материал подготовлен методистом Швыряевой Мариной Борисовной